map

Wednesday, January 13, 2016

It's a New Year

2016 has arrived! I can't believe it! I will be turning 45 this year, and Evan will become a 10th grader, and Lauren a 7th grader this fall! No No No Way this can all be happening--time just moves so fast!

Last year we started keeping a memory box. We would write down anything on paper we wanted to remember, or put in a concert ticket stub, etc. in order to recall those things at the end of the year. Lauren recorded the most things, I was probably second, Evan put things in when I made him, and I don't believe Roger did anything. Maybe this year, we'll all do better? Here are the things we recorded:

January
~(Rebecca, Lauren) On our way to CYT winter class, we saw a guy in his car listening to music and jamming out. He did this at a stop light and kept it up as we were following him for a while to our class. Lauren said, "Mom and I were cracking up. It was the funniest thing ever and it made my day!
March
~(Rebecca, Lauren) We went to see Wichita State University's production of You're a Good Man, Charlie Brown. The director noticed Lauren was wearing a Peanuts gang shirt and commented on how she liked it. We told her that Lauren had just played Sally in the same show for CYT.
April
~(Rebecca, Lauren, Evan) We went to see Matthew West with Colton Dixon and Mr. Talkbox in concert. Kristi Johnson, Keirra, Daniel, and Jenny Huff came too.
~(Family) Went to Janet Grote's funeral. It was lighthearted and not depressing. She is missed.
May
~(Lauren) I got the best buddy ever in Robin Hood. Her name is Anne. She gave me so much sweet stuff and I can't wait to see her again. We had Friday, Saturday, and Monday rehearsal for Robin Hood.
~(Evan) Went with the youth group to Silver Dollar City in Branson, MO.
June
~(Lauren) I went to my first Bagels and Bibles.
July
~(Lauren) I got a book at the library for the summer reading program and it's my favorite book--Recipe for Adventure.
August
~(Lauren) Attended Triple Threat Theater camp.
~(Evan) Started Biology class at Faith Academy, and dad's new Trail Life group.
~(Evan) Mom burped and passed wind all day. Yes, TMI (too much information), but it's true. I had forgotten that day until we were reviewing the memories. I don't know what my gut was going through, but it was an all day ordeal. Thankfully, I didn't have to go anywhere that day, and that the gas didn't smell. Seriously, it was just noise. Sorry you had to read this, but I believe in keeping things real. 
September
~(Family) Took a 10 day Disney cruise to Hawaii.
Some time during the year we watched a youtube video of a police officer lip syncing to Taylor Swift's Shake it Off. His dash cam taped him. He was hilarious, and did a great job. When he would pass people or have to slow down to let people cross the road, or was at a stop light, he would act all cool and nod and wave at people, and then immediately start up again when starting to drive again. Hilarious!

In addition to remembering last year, this year has had a couple of exciting things happen already. Roger's truck got rear-ended. He was stopped behind a car that was making a left turn, and the truck that hit him I guess wasn't paying attention. When he texted me our truck was a mess, I was expecting a smashed in back end, broken tail light, etc. The fender was a tiny bit smashed in, and there was a split in the metal on the right side of the fender, so I didn't think it was that bad. After an estimate, it's going to cost insurance over $2000 to be fixed. Roger said he knows this isn't how the rest of the year is going to be, but I told him I wasn't so sure. We are trying hard to work on our debt and I think we're going to get hit by the devil with things this year to prevent us from getting out of doubt--it happens every time we are trying to get rid of debt. Not only that, but after this accident happened, our church's pastor asked Roger if we would like to teach another Dave Ramsey get out of doubt class. We've taught this class 2 or 3 times before, and we always get asked in a year when we are working hard on zeroing out our own debt. Every, single time. I don't want to teach this class again, because I feel like a hypocrite. I think Roger enjoys teaching this class, and I'm not sure what he wants to do yet.

In the school year 2014-2015, a 5th grade teacher started Wichita's only showchoir for highschoolers called Flight. She held a workshop for middleschoolers called Flight Jr., but Lauren was only a 5th grade so couldn't attend. In December, another workshop was opened and Lauren could attend this year. The group met for a total of 9 hours before their performance this past Sunday. This is Lauren's love--singing, dancing, and performing. We were allowed to videotape Flight Jr., so we did. The group did a great job. Lauren is just such a natural at this stuff, and I love seeing her smile on stage. Here's the video:

 



No comments:

Post a Comment