map

Thursday, January 6, 2011

My Kids Rock

Yes, the title is pun intended because I am talking about rock climbing LOL! This month at our homeschool fitness class, the featured activity is rock climbing. Lauren's group does it on Tuesdays and Evan's group on Thursdays. This week was the first time for both of them to try this activity.

Lauren really gave it a valiant try on Tuesday. She walked right up to that rock and started climbing until she got about 5 feet off the ground, then she wanted down. I don't have a pic of how high she actually got because I was under her holding her little tushy trying to get her to go a little bit higher, so she climbed higher than me. I am very proud of her try. She agreed with the teacher that next Tuesday she would try to reach the number one that is taped to the rock a little bit higher than where she stopped. She is excited to try again, and of course, she was her usual wonderful self cheering on all of her friends.

Lauren eying the rock
 Listening to instructions
 All geared up
 Getting tightened up
 Starting her climb

Today when it was Evan's turn he walked right up to that rock and started climbing like he's done it many times before. I couldn't believe how quickly he was climbing. As he was getting closer to the top he wanted to stop, but the teacher and I kept urging him on, and he reached the top and rang that cow bell. I was so impressed! There were more belayers today, so he got to go a second time and made it to the top again pretty quickly. One of the teachers told me the path he was climbing up was 40 feet high. Sure seemed higher to me, though. One of his friends was climbing on a path close to him at the same time and when they both came down, Evan told his friend, "good job." I love how my kids support their friends.

Listening to instructions
 All geared up
 Getting tightened up
 Starting to climb


Ringing the bell at the top
 Coming down

No comments:

Post a Comment