map

Sunday, February 26, 2012

Look What I Made: Homemade Face Mask


 I have been experimenting with all kinds of homemade products. It started with homemade laundry detergent which I LOVE! This month I have been using homemade shampoo with baking soda and conditioner with apple cider vinegar, and using extra virgin olive oil for a face wash (all which I will post about another time). For this post I want to tell you about my homemade face mask.

I went searching on the internet and came across a couple of sites that talked about using French green clay. One site was http://www.glenbrookfarm.com/clayfacials.html. Unfortunately I cannot find the other site that I found that I really liked about this type of mask. I guess I need to start bookmarking more often. Anyways, here it was you do:

I purchased some French green clay from amazon.com. I actually got it for free because I had turned in swagbucks for amazon.com gift cards, but if I had paid it was about $16-17 before shipping, but there is a lot of clay in this bag and it will last me a long time, so I feel it was a good price. (Do you know about swagbucks? If you want to know more click here: http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/risencakes). The clay is 16oz and is a sage green color. I cut the complete top of the bag open so I can dip my hand and measuring tool into the bag and then store the bag in a food storage tub in the cabinet under my bathroom sink.



To mix up the face mask, I use 1/2 tablespoon of clay and mix it with a 1/2 tablespoon of warm water in a small canning jar I had. That's it! I forgot to take a pic of the mixed clay and water. You might want to try a little bit less than 1/2 tbs because I don't quite end up using all of that on my face.

In this first pic, it's really hard to see that the mask is green, but it really is. This is showing when it is first put on and is wet. Also, in this pic it looks like I barely have mask on my face, but I really did cover my face completely.

This next pic shows areas of my face that are wet and dry. The dark spots are the wet areas. Although it looks white in color in this pic, the mask is still green. It's really starting to tighten up my face so I can't really smile. LOL!

This last pic shows my face after the mask has completely dried. I usually leave it on for about 5-10 minutes which is enough time to do some cleaning up of the bathroom. At this point, the mask actually is white looking, not so much green any more.

When time is up, I simply take a warm wet washcloth and wipe off the mask. If your face feels dry after this, just use a little of your favorite moisturizer. I usually do this about once a week, but no more than twice. I just like the fact of knowing that it is a product from the earth on my face. It's natural. If you think you want to try a homemade face mask, there are all kinds of sites to get you started, some of them even using products you can find in your kitchen like eggs. So go research, experiment, and have fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment