map

Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Watch Out Squirrels!

Roger and I usually don't exchange presents with each other at Christmastime; we'll usually pick out something we would like to have for the house and spend our money on that. Well, this year I came across something at our local Christian book store that I knew I just had to buy him for his stocking--a hunter's cookbook! This book is wonderful...it has stories and pictures of hunters and some of their adventures, and recipes for so many animals from fish, deer, and quail, to wild boar, bear, and alligator. Okay, now we'll probably never have any of those last three, but last night we did make one of the recipes for meatballs using venison and it was so yummy! I can't wait to make them again. Thank goodness that most of the recipes are for venison because we have an abundance of that meat in our freezer that needs to be eaten up, but I'm hoping Roger will really start taking our son out hunting more and bring back a goose, or quail, or even wild turkey to try out some of those recipes. If you have not seen the A&E TV show Duck Dynasty, it is one of our favorites. I won't go into details, but one aspect of that family and show is all of the hunting they do. On one of their shows they showed some skinned squirrels being stewed in a pot. Well, thanks to that show as well as the new cookbook, Roger is getting some culinary ideas in his head, and all I can say to our backyard buddies living in our trees is, "Watch out squirrels! Roger may be coming after you someday."

No comments:

Post a Comment